Tomorrow’s weather calls for 50% chance of rain in the early morning, winds 10-20 mph with gusts up to 35. This combined with the excessive rain over the last two weeks with little time for the ground to dry creates a very messy launch site with winds detrimental to good launch.
On top of this ROC canceled their launch again this weekend, and so our monthly pickup of motors will not be coming through. I contacted BAR and asked them to ship the motors, but as of 4pm today (Friday) they have not yet arrived. Without these motors, most (maybe all?) will have no high or mid power motors to launch tomorrow, and some may even be out of model rocket motors.
Due to the combination of these events, we have decided to cancel tomorrow’s launch. I will let everyone know as soon as our motors arrive. Nov-Feb is always an iffy period for weather, but usually by March it clears up a lot, so hopefully no issues for a March 9th launch. If you have any questions, please address them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Just a quick note to let everyone know that we are good to launch at the new location. Check out the events page, or the window to the left for more information. Remember we have a new launch location at Koehn Dry Lake bed! Hope to see you all there!
Just confirmed that our launch is a go for Sunday May 13th from 0900 to 1400 for details on how to get out there check out our launch information page at http://www.skarclub.org/launch-information/
In classic Air Force manner, the airspace manager has sent an email out last minute canceling their approval for our launch tomorrow.
It has been pointed out that some land that may make a good launch location exists near California City that we originally dismissed due to it being BLM land ( which means we will have to pay to use it). I will check and see if it is outside of the airspace we are currently under and if it is I will verify cost and submit the FAA waivers needed to move our launch location there. This new area is a dry lake bed outside of cal city called Koehn lake.
It has become apparent that the increased weekend use of the airspace by the Air Force, is not a fluke or a temporary thing
Just a friendly reminder that we have our rocket lab build session at the usual place and time tomorrow, noon to 3pm! Bring whatever you want to work on, but if you are planning in attending our night launch in July I definitely recommend checking in on the requirements, and getting some work done there! Check events for more details!
Just got confirmation for the October launch. This month the launch will be Sunday, Oct 15th from 0900 to 1400. We have an approved ceiling of 10,000 AGL. You can find directions to the launch site here: http://www.skarclub.org/launch-information/
If you have any questions, please let us know! As per normal, you can make purchases from http://bayarearocketry.com/ For delivery options select launch site pickup and in the notes write that it is for SKAR launch pickup in mojave. Be sure to let me (Chris) or Kevin know as if we have stuff to pickup we can pick yours up also. Looking forward to seeing you all out there!
Also, our build session this month will be Sat OCt 28th. from noon to 3pm. We may have a local boyscout troop with us building rockets as well, but that has not yet been confirmed. Our business meeting will be that same day at 3pm. We will have some pizza and drinks so be sure to make it if you can!
Unfortunately the Air Force has contacted us and has rescinded their permission for us to launch this weekend. They will not let us launch on Saturday OR Sunday, not even with lowered altitude ceilings (I tried everything!!), While the AF has, in the past, not allowed us to launch on a Saturday, we have always been able to launch on at least the next day on Sunday. Unfortunately because they have denied permission on both days, we will not be able to launch again until September. This is because we are required to have an FAA waiver on our launch days. At the end of each year, I submit the entire year in advance to ensure we have our waivers in order. This process takes several months, so even if I were to put in a waiver today, it would not be approved until November at the earliest, which , as you can see, is a little late for an August launch date.
Our launch site location is pretty good, and has been utilized for over 20 years by the MDAR group. However, for SKAR, it has been a pain in the butt. We have to request special permission from the AF each month, and never know until a few days before if we are launching on a saturday or a sunday. This can be very frustrating for members, especially those that come out from farther away. Due to this issue, and this weekends completely cancellation without any reason given, Kevin and I have decided that we are going to search for a new launch location. One that is not in the R2515 or R2508 complex. Or any restricted airspace for that matter. I have gotten a lead on a couple of locations closer to Rosamond and will be checking them out this weekend. Hopefully one of these will pan out and we can have a much more stable launch schedule.
We will maintain the current launch site until a new one is ready, and the appropriate FAA waivers have been submit.